Saturday 29 October 2011

Megane RS 250 LED Bumper Lights

The OEM LED bumper DRL units for the Megane RS 250 are quite expensive to buy brand new (around £430 for a pair). I managed to get them brand new for just around £270. In order to power these units you need 2 power supplys which cost a further £400 for a pair plus a few wiring looms which come to around £90. I could not justify spending that kind of money on a power supply and some wires. So I decided to build my own. The OEM loom and power supply is basically CANBUS enabled that allows it to disable the DRL inside the headlamp unit and let the LED DRL's take over.

I wanted my LED DRL's to work exactly like OEM. I wanted to be able to control them via the settings menu that allows you to turn the DRL on/off. I also wanted to be able to use them with the headlights on as fog lights with the fog light switch. So the first thing I did was isolate the DRL circuit that goes into the headlamp. This disabled the entire DRL inside the headlamp housing. Then I built a custom wiring loom and a circuit consisting of a relay, capacitor, diode and a time delay fuse to smooth out the PWM DRL circuit.

Here is a diagram of the custom loom that I built (click to enlarge):

I housed the custom relay circuit in the following weatherproof project box, with rubber cable grommets:



I also used 2 more of these boxes to house the custom built LED power supplys (LED Drivers). I built the LED drivers with 2 way superseal waterproof connectors, so that they can simply plug in and out. The connection from the LED driver to the LED unit is also the same superseal 2 way connector. So everything can be removed if needed. All the connections look like factory fits. In total the custom wiring, circuits and LED drivers, project boxes and connectors all cost me around £30.

Here is a picture of the connectors i used:


And here is a picture of the LED DRL unit:

2 comments: